Wrapping up our program

 


"Life is all, nothing is impossible." 
This was a random little tag I found on a backstreet one morning as I was walking to Family Mart at 6 AM. I had woken up early to watch the sunrise, and get coffee before an online meeting zoom interview for a job I applied for. 

It felt perfect at the moment, to stumble upon those words. As if the universe had really sent me a message that morning. You see, a few months ago, the life I was living now, in Taiwan, was merely just a faint dream with a strong desire. 

I had applied for 4 different study abroad programs, and been accepted into all of them, and waitlisted for Design in Taiwan. I felt frustrated at myself for my interview, asking what I could have done better in order to get in to my top choice? For weeks, the choice haunted me. Should I go to Australia for a year long exchange? Would that be too expensive and long? Would the credits line up? Is it worth it to leave behind the life I had just started building roots for something else? I ended up being accepted for Amsterdam, London, and Paris as well, but Taiwan was always my first choice. 

Its crazy to me that what was just once an idea, had now become a reality and really changed my life, and the way I was living in it...

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・


Here this was 2 types of tea from the ceremony we had on the last day. We were tasked to write a memory, to put inside our little containers to open on at a later date in time. My whole table ended up passing around our notes, and leaving surprise messages for one another. 

I think this was one of the most perfect ways to end the trip. It for sure will bring me much warmth to read those messages when I am missing these moments. 

I made a drawing during the poetry recital, which I showed to the shopkeeper, and he was so happy, he asked to take a photo with me :) 


This is me being goofy at the Confucius Temple. (It accurately depicts how I feel about going back to Seattle).


Tracy and Annie, eating their bento box lunches in the hallway!

The aesthetic stair case at the Hayashi Department store! (I ended up buying a huge box of my favorite tea to bring home to share with everyone)

My group outside before presentations!

One of the last sunsets I enjoyed in Tainan...

The museum of Literature, with European style architecture. The Japanese sent students to Frace, to learn from their urban development, but because the government was so conservative, they were sent to Taiwan to experiment, and build with inspiration from what they had learned. This is why there are traffic circles in Tainan. 

Our final poster and prototype for the last project and presentation!

People using the stamps we had created for their notebooks!

Heather surprised us with mooncakes, which we all shared the last night!

Birthday wishes and hanging out after a celebratory success for our program!

Ninja jumping in front of the sculptures at NCKU!

I began writing postcards at 6 AM...

All the postcards I have written!

Little note and flowers I left on my bed for the hotel staff.

My last walk down the street that has become so familiar to me those days. 



⋆⊱༻𖥸༺⊰⋆

It all went by in a whizz. 


I went to bed, falling asleep without even a thought in my mind from the sheer exhaustion after our final presentation. 


Helen was out by 6:30 am, and I spent the whole morning in my pajamas writing all 18 postcards. 


We all gathered around the large table at breakfast. Some NCKU students joined us. 


5. 

Kristin, Bethany, Erin, Jamie, and me 


Tears and hugs and shoulder rubs 


“These days being here, I wasn’t performing for anyone I was just being myself.” Kristin wiped the blood from her t-shirt

“Annie made me a drawing of my favorite song, that we listened together to on the bus”


Bittersweet moments 


Bethany gave me her debit card and the pin because I needed more cash. She trusted me.


Then there was Erin, looking for a wireless charger after her phone got sand and water in it from the beach. Leo let her borrow his all these days. 


I still have the magic tricks he did for us last night in my mind, the smoke paper he gifted to me.


4. 


My backpack is ready. My purse too. I’ve thrown out all my receipts and left origami flowers on the table


And now my box of gifts is all packed, Kristin helps me carry it downstairs to the lobby and ... 


Now 3. 

My Uber arrives faster than I anticipated. Its suddenly hugs and goodbyes, and before I know it, the door closed to the car, with me in it, and everyone else outside. We started driving away, and I felt heartbreak. 


2. 

Two girls from NCKU help me at the post office, they translate everything flawlessly and guide me to fill out the paperwork. 


Outside of the post office, we all group hug. "You guys are so smart, so creative, so wise and kind and beautiful. You have so much in your futures awaiting you. And I’m so excited to see where your future takes you."


"We promise to keep in touch and send pictures on Instagram "


1.

Just me now, I've said goodbye to everyone.


I walk down this street one last time, which in 10 days has become a home to me. I pass my favorite Japanese soup stall. The green onion egg pancake hawker, Bethany loved and brought me breakfast from. I walk by the women who offered me chicken hearts when I made a heart with my hands. The mangos which always had a long line for. The smell of dumplings arrives, the same ones I had the very first night. I pass by all the places I’ve left origami flowers at, a small little piece of me that will stay here. Mung bean smoothie, Helen got that she offered me a sip of. The traffic intersection, where we danced under the rain post volleyball. 


I look at every last sign, trying to carve the image of them into my mind. I know I won’t remember the picture of this. But I’ll keep and carry the feeling instead. 


One last mission. Visit Annie selling her art at the fair today.



*ੈ✩‧₊˚༺☆༻*ੈ✩‧₊˚


I visited Annie at her drawing booth as a last mission before I left. 

we made drawings of each other!

Saying goodbye...

Departing on my train to Kaoshing...


Thank you for everything Taiwan, and this program~ 
I will be back someday 

₊˚⊹♡




















Comments

  1. Reading your blog brought back so many good memories of the trip with you and the other students. How did the job interview go? Thank you for writing such beautiful postcards to me and everyone else. It was very thoughtful and much appreciated. I’m really glad to have had you on this trip with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our First Days Here in Taipei

Rest of the Week in Taipei

Taichung