Rest of the Week in Taipei
⋆⊱༻𖥸༺⊰⋆
Our field trip to Pinglin is probably my favorite thing we have done so far, and not just because the name reminds me of penguins (so of course I have to love it). I remember following Erin onto the second bus with all the NTU students, and having a few moments of regret as soon as I sat down to find everyone on their phone. I wanted to socialize. And I’m not great at persuading shy souls to talk with me, it makes me feel like I have to open an oyster. I took a deep breath and reminded myself discomfort is where growth happens, and I tried my best the graceful act of balance, asking questions without the conversation becoming an interrogation.
I was very grateful when we first arrived, there was a bathroom. I really needed to pee. I ran to it so fast I didn’t even pause to notice the beautiful butterflies everywhere.
I was fascinated during our tour to learn SO MUCH, and not only from the guide himself.
Rainfall collection methods, measurements, the students doing field work in the river, I loved walking alongside the tea plantation, and learning from professor Shenglin Chang. She told me about the tea harvesting process, the drying, oxidation from green tea to black tea, we even passed by a small workshop where I got to see the tea oven, and the “beds where they sleep.” I was fascinated and grateful to learn all this before visiting the tea museum itself.
The best parts were discovering a new species of ladybug I’ve never seen, petting the black dogs, admiring the pineapple plants, and pointing to chubby bees with Jaimie, saying “THAT’S A CHONKER.”
I also really enjoyed our “hike.” The water lilies in front of the temple were almost as beautiful as the rolling hills of striped tea plantations.
During our free hour, I ate the best mochi of my life. It was 20 NTD, and came from an old woman smoking a cigarette in front of a curious “store” (if you could even call it that). I admire when old people collect things “to sell” but really just for the sake of collection. It was wrapped in a white substance, and as I watched her scoop dough from a pink grocery bag, I sent a quick prayer that this decision wouldn’t give me diarrhea. (It didn’t!!) It was so soft, and Judy explained to me there was taro inside, which is something new I now decided I like. At the restaurant, I practiced relinquishing control, and let the NTU students choose everything we ordered. We shared, and it was divine. I never would have selected a radish omelet for myself off the menu, yet the flavor and texture combination scratched the sweet spot in my brain. I looked at recipes with Jaimie on the walk back, planning how we would recreate the dish back in Seattle.
“I know we aren’t supposed to have favorites,” I told her. “But I do. And out of everyone here, you are mine.” She laughed, and with her blue eyes she said “that just means we are friends man.”
It made me think about when I was 5 years old, and didn’t know whether someone was my friend yet, so I had to ask, (almost like permission), “can we be friends?” I know now, friendship isn’t something with a time based label. It’s an unspoken bond when you start to care about other people, and make small acts of kindness to take care of them.
Our actual hike before meeting with the others was semi-trecherous, and left me covered in sweat and mosquito bites. Yet, I loved escaping into the trees, and finding leaves bigger than my face. I ran down afterwards, feeling like a real horse galloping, its hair in the wind.
The museum itself was well designed, and the air con was a great pleasure to enjoy. I liked smelling different teas, especially from the cute puff bottles. I enjoyed learning about different cultural history, and the evolution of tea drinking. Most of all, I probably enjoyed the stamps. I didn’t have much paper, so I used my receipts, and a napkin to collect mine to use in my journal later.
My favorite quote from the day: “The world is not starved of information, it is starved from attention.” (from eavesdropping a conversation between Bethany and Erin)
“If you could steal anything from this museum, and get away with only 1 thing, what would it be?” I asked. “Ohhhhhh, that’s a good question. I have to think. Let me get back to you.” She said, and for the next few hours, I looked at every treasure, imagining where I would put it for display, (in a house of mine in the future that doesn’t even exist yet).
I realized by the end, that the real objects themselves, while they might be incredible demonstrations of human dedication (like the ivory ball), the real reason why they are special is because they are put on display, for thousands of people to enjoy them. I think we as humans have a natural tendency to lean towards beauty. And our selfish ways can make us want to hold, touch, or own beauty as well. As I grow up, I am learning to enjoy admiration without possession. There are too many precious things out there in the world, owned by private collectors, and sitting in someone’s basement. The museum collection cannot, and should not, go down like the children’s story of the rainbow fish.
In all, our guided tour here was a great exercise for me to strengthen my mental focusing capabilities, and gain endurance for standing long periods of time. I was amazed by the explanations of materials, the ceramic castings for the bronze, the symbolism of fruit, and Chinese character meanings. I loved the intricate details of the scroll paintings, and the delicacy of the porcelain dishes. I found fascination in history, and tried to imagine myself living and creating years and years ago, what it would have been like…
The bookstore broke my bank and made my wallet cry, but I bought only gifts for other people, so it was worth it.
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟
Yeah, if you get away with one thing, what would it be? I'm curious too. I'll probably get a 汝窯。
ReplyDelete