Our First Days Here in Taipei

 



· · ─ ·𖥸· ─ · ·

“Taipei really rewards you for exploring,” he said, as the MRT green line doors opened and closed. “Like, any random alley you walk down, you will find something cool. A kick ass coffeeshop, or a cute little terrace full of plants…”

I smiled at this stranger I had just met on the subway, feeling grateful to have an extroverted local sit next to me first thing out of the airport (despite my messy hair, no makeup, and probably stinky breath).

He explained that Taipei is located in a valley, and showed on a map the four beasts to the South East side of the city. These mountains are named after the Tiger, Leopard, Lion and Elephant, because their ridges evoked imagery of 4 mythical and powerful beasts, reminding early observers of these celestial animals.

“You HAVE to go hiking here,” he said pointing to a chinese name on google maps.

(and I did the very next day). 



𖧷
𖧷


The buildings here in Taipei are like candy. They are so colorful. They remind me of the vibrant aisles in grocery stores. I watch everything, taking in the hustle and bustle as if feasting my eyes. 


I haven’t bought an umbrella yet. (I probably should since tomorrow there will be a typhoon here). The excuse of ‘I haven’t found a cute one that isn’t expensive’ and ‘I don’t mind the rain, it's like dog kisses from the sky’ ARE TRUE, yet the real reason why I haven’t bought one yet is because I honestly like sharing umbrellas with other people. 

It warmed my heart when the NTU students invited me under their umbrella. I get to talk to so many people this way. 

“So what’s the difference between Seven 11, and Family Mart?” I asked Shinru when we walked together. She explained Family Mart was more common in the Philippines, and 7/11 was more japanese, but they were the same thing, and had similar products. I wished 7/11 was like this in Seattle. I’ve not yet found something there that I don’t like. 


There are many interesting and strange things to try, food wise, here in Taiwan, like edible bird's nest, which is made of swallow spit. Our first night during welcome dinner, we all sat around a lazy susan round table. The sweet women of the restaurant continued to bring dish after dish of exquisitely beautifully plated and novel things. The food was abundant and endless like the flowering cherry blossoms of the quad during spring. The only thing I didn’t like was the stinky tofu. I left the restaurant that night, feeling spoiled like royalty, giddy and grateful to be here, and learn about the local culture through each of my 5 senses. 


It’s hard to have self-control not to buy everything here. There are endless cute shops. I want to bring home everything, but I am practicing, and strengthening my muscle of “desire without obtainment.”


𖧷𖧷

Today we had the privilege to visit the Taiwan Design Research Institute, which used to be a Tobacco Factory, but is now home to over 220 employees. Many students and exhibitions have become the heart of this sharing place for innovation and creativity, as designers come together to showcase their best work. 

I was amazed by every invention, and felt myself in awe and envy.


"Good design is not only defined by form, function, and usability, but also by its responsibility towards people, resources, and the environment. Sustainable design considers the entire life cycle from production and use to repair, reuse, or recycling. With durable, adaptable, and resource-efficient responsibly sourced materials, we a contribute to a more conscious consumption, and longer-lasting solutions and a cure in which innovation and responsibility are closely connected."

- FROM A MUSEUM PLAQUE AT THE TAIWAN DESIGN RESEARCH INSTITUTE


𓇼 ⋆.˚ 𓆉 𓆝 𓆡⋆.˚ 𓇼










˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗


More to come! Til next time ◡̈ 







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rest of the Week in Taipei

Taichung